WHAT ARE TRIBAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION PLANS?
The THPOs and NATHPO (provides support to the individual THPOs) are committed to implementing tribal and Federal preservation laws on Tribal lands, including Federally-mandated archaeological clearances and evaluation and management of Tribal historic properties. NATHPO provides technical assistance to Tribes seeking approval of Tribal Historic Preservation Programs and develops and provides technical training in all aspects of historic and cultural heritage preservation, maintenance and revitalization, including:
- Directing and conducting a comprehensive reservation-wide survey of historic properties and maintaining inventories of those properties
- Identifying and nominating eligible properties to the National Register and administering applications for listing historic properties on the National Register
- Preparing and implementing a comprehensive Tribal historic preservation plan
- Administering the Tribal program of Federal assistance for historic preservation at the reservation (when funds are appropriated by the U S Congress)
- Advising and assisting, when appropriate, Federal and State agencies and local governments in carrying out their historic preservation responsibilities
- Cooperating with the Secretary of Interior, the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, and other Federal and State agencies, local governments, and organizations and individuals to ensure that historic properties are taken into consideration at all levels of planning and development
- Providing public information, education and training, and technical assistance in historic preservation
- Cooperating with local governments in developing local historic preservation programs and assisting local governments in certification (when feasible)
- Consulting with the appropriate Federal agencies in accordance with the Act on Federal undertakings that may affect historic properties and the content and sufficiency of any plans developed to protect, manage, or to reduce or mitigate harm to such properties
- Advising and assisting in evaluating proposals for rehabilitation projects that may qualify for Federal assistance.
This page to be updated (posted on 12/6/2014)